Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Final Presentation Outline

I will be doing my final presentation on the imagery of popular Japanese music in the 1980s and its relation to what was occurring socially and economically at the time. I will not be focusing on one genre in particular, but instead will jump back and forth between genres. Through research I found that many of these genres were very much interconnected, and also that each had its own unique insight to offer into various aspects of society through its visuals. The four main subjects that I will be looking at are:


1.) 1980s pop/new-wave music and its relation to Japanese technological innovation at the time (which was due largely to an expanding economy).


2.) The movement of "Visual Kei," which grew substantially in popularity in the second half of the 1980s and enjoyed a revitalization in 2007. What is its relation to the gender roles conceptualized at the time? And why the sudden revival?


3.) The inclusion of traditional Japanese instruments in songs, as well as "traditional" (or stereotypical) Japanese imagery on album covers, in band photos, etc. Does this reveal nostalgia for Japan's "glory days?"



4.) I was also thinking about comparing this Visual Kei imagery with what was happening with American bands at the same time. The imagery was similar... were the Japanese influenced by the American groups, or vice-versa, if they paid any attention to one another at all? Also, Japanese bands and American bands that looked similar had very different explanations/motives for why they chose to dress as they did. Despite the similarities, they were actually quite removed from one another.



6 comments:

  1. I have a few X-Japan music videos and other rock bands if you ever want to check out the names and stuff you can look it all up on youtube, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When looking at Visual Kei, you might want to read up on fashion culture in Japan, especially styles like gothic lolita and cosplay. Gothic lolita, in particular, is identified with Harajuku and Shibuya, I think... I could be wrong. But maybe take a look at some of the more extreme fashion movements in Japan; you could investigate the influence of visual kei musicians on fans and the fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may want to look at the age of these groups fan base. If the audience is younger they may be more likely to become interested in a group with crazy clothing simply for the fashion statements they are making. It could be possible that these styles were popular as they were a way of deviating from more toned down styles coming before them.

    -Michael Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much everybody for your comments and suggestions, especially those of you who offered your help. We'll probably be in touch as I take on what is a very different study for me.

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if you need more sources, I have a lovely book about J-Rock bands. The intro traces how X-Japan happened and some such.

    It's also interesting a theme I always see in literature about J-Pop, relating it to things like Kabuki and Noh. Being that things like Kiss developed in the "west", that can't be the WHOLE story, but perhaps, just perhaps, the idea of highly costumed and painted performers progressed further and longer in J-pop because of it? ( I always think of the Kabuki lion wig when I look at 80's hair. But perhaps I'm a bit odd.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salut Dan,
    I am looking forward to reading your work too. I hope everything is fine with your finals and so on. Thank for the information about the movie, you will love it !

    Bon courage !

    Vincent

    ReplyDelete