Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Assignment 4: Lantern Slides











Whoa, it took me twice as long to get these images to work than it probably will to do this write-up. Regardless, I hope they show up properly.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to put together a small collection of Japanese temple imagery that I found on the Swarthmore site. I'll begin with the top image and work my way down:
I'm not sure if this was intentional on the part of the photographer, but there seems to be a thick fog descending on the temple from the background. This lends a surreal atmosphere to the image. In comparison to the next image, the grounds of this temple are absolutely deserted, and I think the flat, grey land adds to the dreamy sense that we get from this scene.
The second photograph from the top is a bit more accessible. That is, it is a clear, sunny day with no distortions in the picture quality, and the vibrant green of the trees/grass and blue of the sky make it easier for the viewer to digest. Also, it has the character of an action shot. There are a handful of ordinary people present going about their daily business, which I think adds a touch of modernity/familiarity to the photograph. I think that all of this gives the image a much more tourist-friendly feel.

The third shot is different from the rest in that the temple does not actually seem to be central to the image as a whole. The plants in the foreground severely obstruct our view, and make the temple far more difficult to make out than in the other photographs. Nature is dominant here, as it figuratively "conquers" the man-made structures (temples) that lie in the background. This romanticizes the whole scene by adding the theme of isolation, making this a truly quaint image to the Westerner who is observing the "foreign" temple.
The next photograph connects back to the one second from the top in its inclusion of society. In fact, there is even more hustle-and-bustle happening here than in that previous image. It takes on an atmosphere similar to that of a market place. That is, an area that is very lively, and more importantly, touristy. For this reason, I think that this image would be the most accessible to the Western viewer. It contrasts directly with the third photograph and the strong sense of isolation observed there.
In a similar fashion, I think that the fifth and final image can be connected directly with the third. True, the two are fundamentally different in that here, the temple is the central figure of the photograph, whereas in image #3, the temple was nearly blocked from sight altogether. However, there is an even stronger theme of isolation here. The temple is placed high, seemingly unreachable atop an ominous rock out at sea. It is surrounded by wilderness on one side, and a fantastic sunset looms behind. Again, a perfectly dramatized image for the Westerner who wants a romanticized view of the Japanese temple.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the first shot,especially the angle it was taken from. It's a larger temple than the rest, and is the sole focus of the image. The sides become really elongated, and the way the three tiers retreat further back give it a streamlined look and flow. All in all, you have a really nice album, but I think that image is the nicest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I have to say I am really pleased that so many people didn’t do their stuff so that I ended up commenting your slides. You did a great job, I love the idea of your theme and the analysis is very informative. The prints you chose and especially the multiple points of view to create a print of the temples are out of the ordinary. It great so have so many sources about a common theme and it is giving you the opportunity of such a good analysis.

    I do share most of you deductions but I must say I believe that the Westerners would appreciate the last photograph as (a real cliché) fitting the expectations. The temple on the third and fifth appear as out world or time, a kind of remote sacred place. I feel like we are all waiting for that while thinking about the Japanese temple.

    On the other hand, I am not sure Westerners would actually feel closer to a place crowded with people. I feel like the tourists in general don’t really like being in a touristy place, they want to have their own experience even if it is full of clichés too. You are making a contradiction here, but this contradiction sounds to me as the main characteristic of a tourist: someone who wants to see the “typical” things (which fits its expectations) but want to be the only one , have a unique relationship to the place(even if it is the most famous place in Japan.)

    -Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all: thanks to Twilights and Vincent for your comments. I enjoyed reading them, and they were both helpful to me.

    To respond to Vincent, I don't think I had even realized this contradiction I was making! Regardless, I completely agree with you that the Westerner would prefer the "romantic" seclusion of a Japanese temple. I think it adds to the overall mystery that we sometimes feel in response to an Eastern culture. However, I also believe that the occasional touristy location would also have the Westerner feel a bit more comfortable on his/her expedition. I think it would help him/her feel as though they are not COMPLETELY removed from their own culture at the time of visit.

    Thanks again to both of you!

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for being late to comment on your images Dan. I really like the images that you chose. I think that they have a very tourist-y feel to them because they really show the beautiful architecture that has been associated with Japan. They are all temples, right? I really like these images.
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete